Sunday, October 10, 2010

A Quick $100

Dawn broke around 7:15 Saturday morning.... and I was already awake. Despite having a hecuuva time trying to fall asleep in Friday night (although I did watch The Triplets of Belleville, which was incredibly unique and highly recommended), I was up at 6:45. By 7:00, I was pulling up at the drive-in of my favorite coffee house and getting some much needed coffee from Lisa. Why was I up so early on a Saturday? I had agreed to proctor/room supervise the LSAT until 1:00 that afternoon. Here's why- I pretty much did nothing and made $100 for it. There was the usually ritualistic events during the morning- looking at the test-takers' ID cards, getting their fingerprints, assigning them random seats, passing out the tests and the booklets, reading the incredibly boring and monotonous script (I honestly contemplated reading it in an accent or something but I figured they were already kind of on edge so I figured I probably shouldn't). There was maybe forty-five minutes of free time before the test started so I got to chat with Chelsea, the proctor in my room, a junior at C of I and a currently London trip student. I gave her some good London info and that I was available for tips at anytime, seeing as I am quite adept at this point at traveling on the cheap.

The most important part of my job was being a human timekeeper. I had to be very precise about the 35 minutes given for each section, as well as the five minute warning. I was instructed not to read, which I understood, so instead I brought with me a crossword puzzle book from Wal-mart and kept my brain a-workin'. Sometimes I would wandering through the area and make sure that everyone was working on the proper section and not cheating or anything. Even with my cross-word puzzle book, there was plenty of time for thinking and observing. With these students taking the LSAT, I started to think about their futures for them (I'm sure they've done enough thinking about it on their own so I was taking over for awhile). I wondered about which ones would pass and which ones wouldn't; I wondered about where they would go to law school and if they didn't pass, what they would do instead; I thought about what kind of a lawyer they would be and what they would spend the rest of their lives doing. I even though about if they would pass the bar or not or if they would even make it that far. It's always interesting to speculate, especially when you know that you are never going to see these people again and always have that sense of mystery.

All in all though, easy $100. Definitely will do something like that again- I always enjoy crossword puzzles and inner speculation :)

No comments:

Post a Comment