Thursday, October 28, 2010

Chicago Day 3

Today I was on my feet for nearly the entire day. And they hurt! But it was worth it. It was a pretty cold day so I spent most of it inside. I took the El down to Grant Park and walked to Buckingham Fountain and down to Museum Campus where the Shedd Aquarium, Field Museum and Adler Planetarium are all located. I decided to go to the Shedd Aquarium since I Hadn't been to an aquarium in a long time and I had been wanting to for awhile now. Since I've bee to the one in Long Beach a bunch, I figured I'd head over to this huge and well-respected Aquarium.

Here are just some of my favorite pictures from the aquarium. Highlights galore. None of them are with flash so some are a little hard to see but they had some crazy cool and some crazy colorful fish, snakes, turtles, jellyfish, etc. I even learned way more than I ever thought I would about tarantulas. Yes, tarantulas.














When I left the Aquarium, I had about two and a half hours until the Art Institute became free so I walked down to Solider Field. Now exclusively for the Bears, the Chicago Fire used to play here. Only important because of Kelly Gray and Brian McBride (but I don't htink Brian ever played here).
I hadn't eaten since really early that morning and it was freezing so I stopped in at Panera for some hot soup and a sandwich to eat tomorrow. I passed this statue on the way. You can't see from this angle but there is a raven overlooking the wolf to the far left's shoulder. Pretty cool. Made me think of the three little pigs for some reason, even though there are three wolves and not three pigs. I also stopped in after lunch/dinner to the Chicago Architecture Foundation and checked out the boat tours for tomorrow and their little free exhibit.
The Art Institute was amazing. They have a ton of stuff and because there was so much I wanted to see, I went through it all pretty quickly but snagged pictures of some of my favorite (and some famous) paintings. Again, highlights below.
paperweights
I read this book (Arnie Goes to Camp) when I was little.
HOGARTH!
El Greco
Sunday Afternoon on the Grande Jette- Seurat
Van Gogh's self-portrait
one of the many miniature rooms this lady had commissioned
Coming Through the Rye (part of this year's Pageant)
mummy heads
Marc Chagall
check out the CREEPY picture on the wall behind Pat Nixon
Despite my aching feet, all in all, a good day!

No comments:

Post a Comment