Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Love Letters to London

Dear Black Purse that I bought on Oxford Street for 5 pounds,
You are a wonderful travel bag- everything in you is easily accessible, you stay on my shoulder without falling off, there are lots of fun little pockets for me to stash food I snuck out of the hostel, chocolate spread, water bottles, both Euro cents and pence, you were never heavy even when I had a book and a guide book in you and you hung off my elbow easily when my shoulder was tired. Thank you for not interfering while I was also carrying a backpack.
Love,
Me


Dear iced Cafe Mocha with skimmed milk and whipped cream from Starbucks,
Thanks for not revolting in my stomach when I had to guzzle you in about five minutes because the stupid Dutch airport does security RIGHT before you get onto the plane and therefore can't take any drinks from the lounge onto the plane. You were yummy and delicious and I'm sorry that I didn't get to appreciate your yummy deliciousness properly.
Love,
MePS- Dear Schiphol Airport- your system sucks. UNlove, Me


Dear London Bridge Station,
Thank you for connecting to Gatwick Airport so I didn't have to go though the insanity of London Victoria. I also greatly appreciated that there weren't too many people in my car so that I could relax on two seats and not share with anyone (Yes, I know that I'm selfish). It's great that you are only four stops on the Northern Line away from King's Cross/St. Pancras so I was easily able to get to the British Library.
Love,
Me

Dear Baddiel and Skinner,
I have so much to thank you for. First of all, Three Lions (both the '96 and '98 version) is maybe one of my favorite England songs, and I loved how you changed the lyrics when England began to play like rubbish. I can't say enough about your 2006 World Cup Podcasts- some of the funniest things I've ever heard. I love the songs that you sing, your commentary, your banter and I am so excited for your 2010 South Africa podcasts! Let the Crouchie bashing begin! Thank you for making the hour ride from Gatwick to London Bridge fly by.
Love,
Me
Dear British Library,
You are INCREDIBLE. I'm sorry for never coming to visit you earlier. The unique original artifacts you have- from John Lennon and Paul McCartney's scrawled lyrics, to Jane Austen's writing desk, to some of the original Shakespeare folios to all these incredible illuminated manuscripts from what seems like all the world religions (including one that I had never heard about before!). Your treasures seemed unlimited and it was made even more exciting by being in a dark room with dark walls and low lighting- it was like discovering things in Smaug's cave (clearly I have been reading a lot of Tolkien recently). I am officially putting you at the top of my London event recommendation list.
Love always,
Me
Dear Magnificent Maps,
You were an amazing exhibit- cartographers, I applaud you for your amazing detail in the maps, like the map of the world, the propaganda maps, the map showing where William Penn wrote the constitution of Pennsylvania. Maps have been elevated to a whole new level for me and I owe it all to you, Magnificent Maps exhibits. I even want to buy one of you ("Island" by Stephen Walter). You so clearly mark the history of the world, show the perspective of the various nations that conquered other lands, give such a great insight into the power struggles and balances of power of the world. You were fascinating and I appreciated you a lot.
Love,
Me

Dear Hyde Park,
Thank you for not being Regents Park (just kidding). Thank you for your huge lawns, your shady trees, Kensington Palace (now called something ridiculous like the Enchanted Castle or something like that), the Serpentine, the Peter Pan Statue, dog's running free (free as the wind blows). I was a little weirded out by the three elephant statues (which are ALL over London right now) at the entrance by Marble Arch, especially the one in the tux, but I don't think that's your fault. You were the first park that I spent a significant amount of time in while I was in London in 2005 and you will always hold a special place in my heart.
Love,
Me
Dear Flake,
I love you. That is all.
Love,
Me
Dear Zizzi,
I wasn't familiar with you before dinner but I am now a fan. I appreciated being able to sit partly in the fresh air, but not in the sun, as well as taste your delicious pizza and pasta. The red sauce on the chicken, pasta and mushroom dish was very yummy. Thanks for a great meal. And waitresses of Zizzi, thanks for putting up with two guys who show up totally late for dinner and make the kitchen have to remake pasta carbonara.
Love,
Me
Dear Tattooed Man,
Bravo, sir, bravo, for being so creative with your body. I was slightly freaked out but also incredibly impressed with your body art. Roni thought you were going to knife me for sneaking a picture but I saw you a few other things and underneath the ink, you looked kind. So I'm going to hope I meet you one day (and it's not like I won't recognize you) and get to know the story behind all your ink. Regardless, it must have hurt like a mother!
Sincerely,
MeDear Wembley,
You are so unique. I love the arch, I love the colored seats, I love the punctuality of how quickly your stewards get 88,000+ people out of the stadium after the match. I hate your pitch (and I know that the players do as well) but really, that doesn't affect me too much. I didn't like getting dizzy going down all the ramps/stairs to get out of the stadium but that's inevitable right. I love how you seem to immediately elevate the excitement of the fans and fill yourself with all sorts of people who are all football fans. It's like a convention- without the Star Wars characters. Also, thank you for wanting to create two giant crosses of St. George so that I got a free t-shirt. Or I would have if those annoying boys hadn't stolen them. So I stole someone elses. In my defense, no one was sitting there.
Love,
Me



Dear England fans,
Thanks for not turning on the team because I feel it's difficult to play when the fans turn on you. You can be very hard on your team and they can be sensitive. I don't want to support their low self-esteem but it might help to not boo them, even when they do play rubbish. You were so much fun to watch though, and it was nice to see you exchange jerseys with the Mexico fans. What a nice gesture. Oh, and please be good during the World Cup. I don't want to hear of any shenanigans in South Africa, understand?
Love,
Me
Dear Roni, Neal, Brian, Ian and Jeannie,
Roni- thank you for turning 23 so we could go to the game. Neal, thanks for getting us the tickets. Brian, thanks for joining us for dinner and offering to pick up our suitcase if we didnt' make it back in time. Jeannie, thanks for being a good sport with the other crazy Americans. Ian, thanks for your fascinating with Peter Crouch, for starting Thunder Ford owned by Chuck Thunder and for the laughs.
Love,
Me
Dear England National Team,
Despite my sadness that my boy is not on the team this year and despite me missing him dreadfully, I am hoping for some good things from you this year. Please do not eff it up during the World Cup this year. Nice game against Mexico, but please don't eff things does. I'm glad to see some new people on the team but I certainly hope that it doesn't screw us over. I really don't have too much more to say to you other than DON'T EFF IT UP!
Love always,
Me

No comments:

Post a Comment